Sunday, 10 October 2010

Richard Sweeney

I initially researched into Richard Sweeney because I was intrigued buy his 'hands-on' manipulation of paper to create sculptural lighting.





As I began to research deeper into his work and read his biography I grew further interested by how he got to where he is today

Richard Sweeney had always had a keen interest in the way things are constructed and how they worked. He took great pleasure in dismantling old televisions when he was younger, discovering all the little bits and pieces inside. This is where his obsession began.

He studied Foundation Art at Batley School of Art and Design from 2002-03. This is where he found his passion and niche for making.
Three Dimensional Design was his next step at the Manchester Metropolitan University.

I am able to relate to Richard when he reveals that he works best with tangible materials that can be manipulated by hand ie: paper.
He also likes to let the material dictate its own form so the shapes created were sympathetic to the medium. I find that when producing my own work I like to let the materials 'guide' me into the end product.

Sweeney took a great interest in Manufacturing methods and New technologies and aimed to discover a way of combing both the hands-on approach with Industrial process.

His education has had major influences on his subsequent work as a designer. He was given great free reign at Manchester, allowing him to be playful and experimental therefore leading him to solutions of how to make something or revealing how particular materials would behave.

Sweeney says, 'Simplicity is something I strive for.' This is a little motto I like to try and keep in mind when producing my own work.

He believes that the key to succeeding is to always be experimental and willing/open to learning new skills which he considers particularly significant in the creative process.

It's interesting to see how much his education has had an impact on his developments and encouraged him to really let go and not be held back.

No comments:

Post a Comment